Attract exceptional candidates for the Payroll Officer position with our Payroll Officer Job Description Template.
Payroll Officer Job Overview
[Company Name] is seeking a dedicated Payroll Officer to join our HR department.
Responsibilities include managing employee compensation, maintaining internal payroll databases and ensuring precise calculations of wages, taxes, deductions and other financial aspects tied to employee compensation.
The successful candidate exhibits a strong numerical aptitude and possesses a comprehensive understanding of labor legislation.
At [Company Name], we value attention to detail, effective communication and the ability to uphold confidentiality. If you have advanced knowledge of accounting procedures, experience in payroll activities and a commitment to adhering to regulatory standards, we invite you to apply.
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week), with the possibility of overtime beyond 40 hours per week
Payroll Officer Duties & Responsibilities
- Calculate payroll liabilities, including federal and state taxes, social security, unemployment and workers’ compensation
- Compile summaries of earnings, taxes, deductions, leave, disability and non-taxable wages
- Verify employee working hours and record payroll data in the company’s software system
- Distribute payment statements
- Generate regular reports for management or accounting purposes
- Address employee inquiries about compensation, benefits, taxes and insurance deductions
- Enter new employee data into internal databases
- Maintain the confidentiality of employees’ pay records
- Adhere to policies and procedures to maintain payroll operations
- Resolve discrepancies in payroll transactions
- Provide support for various payroll projects and initiatives
- Provide training to employees on payroll-related matters, such as using self-service portals or understanding pay stubs
- Develop ad hoc financial and operational reports as needed
Payroll Officer Experience Requirements & Skills
- Proven work experience as a Payroll Officer, Payroll Clerk or in a similar role
- Proficient with payroll software including Quickbooks, Sage, EPAY and Gusto
- Knowledge of general payroll practices, procedures, operations and legislation
- Strong mathematical skills
- Ability to prepare and present financial reports
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work autonomously as well as part of a broader team
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in data processing
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment
Payroll Officer Education & Qualifications
- High school diploma or GED
- Having certifications such as Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) and Fundamental Payroll Certifications (FPC) is advantageous
Payroll Officer Job Description Template – Free Download
This Payroll Officer Job Description Template serves as a valuable tool to attract suitable candidates and clearly communicate the responsibilities and qualifications essential for success in the Payroll Officer role within your organization.
Simply substitute [Company Name] with your company’s name and customize the details to align with the specific requirements of the Payroll Officer position.
"*" indicates required fields
Related: How To Write a Job Description