Streamline your hiring process by downloading or copying our free Stage Manager Job Description Template below.
Stage Manager Job Overview
Join [Theater Name] team as a Stage Manager, playing a pivotal role in orchestrating the seamless execution of live performances.
As a Stage Manager, your responsibilities will revolve around supporting and organizing diverse teams throughout the entire theatrical production process. Working closely with directors, actors, designers and technical crew, you’ll play a central role in ensuring rehearsals, performances and post-show activities run smoothly.
Your role involves being the director’s right hand during rehearsals, recording blocking decisions and notes for the actors while keeping a keen eye on logistical and scheduling details. You will oversee sets, props, lights and sound, ensuring that all technical elements align cohesively with the director’s vision.
If you’re well-versed in both the technical and creative sides of stage management, have a keen eye for detail and are enthusiastic about ensuring top-notch standards in theatrical productions, we encourage you to apply for the Stage Manager position at [Theater Name].
Salary: $50,000–$65,000 a year
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week), Monday–Friday, with the possibility of overtime beyond 40 hours per week
Stage Manager Duties & Responsibilities
- Act as the director’s right hand during rehearsals and performances
- Record blocking decisions and actor notes during rehearsals
- Coordinate and organize diverse teams involved in the production process
- Oversee sets, props, lights and sound to align with the director’s vision
- Serve as the director’s representative during performances
- Provide practical and organizational support to the director, actors, designers and technicians
- Schedule rehearsal times and coordinate logistical details
- Liaise with actors, designers, stage crew and technicians
- Direct individuals behind the curtains during performances
- Coordinate technical cues and ensure performers understand their cues
- Communicate the director’s vision to departments such as costume and wardrobe
- Ensure the smooth running of rehearsals, performances and post-show activities
Stage Manager Experience Requirements & Skills
- Proven experience as a Stage Manager in theatrical productions
- In-depth knowledge of stage management processes and best practices
- Familiarity with the dynamics of live performances and the production timeline
- Proficiency in cue coordination and ensuring smooth transitions during shows
- Knowledge of theatrical equipment and technical requirements
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking abilities
- Ability to coordinate and manage logistical details effectively
- Leadership skills to direct individuals behind the curtains during performances
- Problem-solving skills to address issues that may arise during rehearsals or performances
- Passion for maintaining high standards in theatrical production
Stage Manager Education & Qualification Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Theater, Performing Arts or a related field is often preferred
Stage Manager Job Description Template — Free Download
Download our Stage Manager Job Description Template by entering your email address and clicking the Free Download button.
Streamline the process of creating compelling online job listings for a Stage Manager position with our free template.
Adjust salary details and work hours and incorporate other relevant information to attract top-notch candidates.
Save time and create an appealing job ad in no time with our free Stage Manager Job Description Template!
Download this FREE Stage Manager Job Description Template
"*" indicates required fields
Related: How To Write a Job Description