Seeking a skilled Copy Editor to enhance your team’s written content? Copy or download our free Copy Editor Job Description Template.
Copy Editor Job Overview
[Company Name] is on the lookout for a skilled Copy Editor to join our team. Responsibilities include proofreading, fact checking and ensuring adherence to our organization’s standards.
We take pride in our collaborative and growth oriented environment, where your dedication and ambition will find ample opportunities.
If you’re passionate about delivering high-quality content, [Company Name] is the perfect place for your career to flourish. Don’t miss the chance to be part of our team and contribute to our commitment to excellence. Apply now!
Schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week), with the possibility of overtime beyond 40 hours per week
Copy Editor Duties & Responsibilities
- Review and revise content for spelling, grammar and syntax
- Ensure content clarity and flow according to brand standards
- Improve text formatting and page layout
- Ensure inclusive and appropriate vocabulary
- Fact-check all content
- Collaborate with SEO specialists to optimize copy
- Manage multiple projects, meeting deadlines consistently
- Discuss and resolve potentially libelous sections
- Assist with content creation as necessary
- Resolve queries about style and text inconsistencies
- Collaborate with the team for creative ideas
- Stay updated on media trends and content best practices
- Train new writers and editors about the company’s content creation process and style guidelines
Copy Editor Experience Requirements & Skills
- Proven work experience as a Copy Editor or in a similar role
- Proficiency in applying principles of style guides such as the Associated Press and Chicago Style
- Strong computer processing skills, especially G Suite and Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of legal issues in publishing, such as libel and plagiarism
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, time management, organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to make constructive suggestions
- Ability to handle pressure
- Dedication to quality assurance while working within processes and adhering to best practices
- Capability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- Willingness to be flexible to project needs
Copy Editor Education & Qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or English is preferred
- Having certifications such as Certified Professional Copy Editor (CPCE), Certified Copy Editor (CCE) and American Copy Editors Society Certification (ACES) is advantageous
Copy Editor Job Description Template — Free Download
This editable template streamlines the creation of compelling online job ads tailored for a Copy Editor. Simply replace [Company Name] with your organization’s name and adjust the content to suit your specific requirements.
Personalize details such as salary, work conditions and emphasize any employee benefits and opportunities for professional growth to attract skilled Copy Editors to your team.
"*" indicates required fields
Related: How To Write a Job Description